It is getting close to the new year (already, I know, right??) and many people use that as a time to make new habits and resolutions. I have put together a short list of some of my favourite workbooks that may help you with your mental health journey at any time, especially if you take on mental health care as a new year’s resolution.
*Note, this post contains affiliate links. If you buy from these links I will receive a small commission from Amazon at no extra cost to you*
- The Self-Esteem Workbook – Harbinger Press – by Glenn Schiraldi
- This workbook has a series of activities at various levels of the self-esteem building process. There is some psychological science, but it is broken down into language that anyone can understand – even if you don’t have a degree in Psychology.
- The book really focuses on love, which I really like.
- As you can see from the photo, I have tons of post-it’s in there. Lots of content to read and exercises to help you become proficient and learn to love yourself
- Mind over Mood, Second Edition: Change how you feel by changing the way you think – Dennis Greenberger, Christine A. Padesky, et al.
- This book is great for working through anxiety, depression, panic attacks, anger, guilt, low self-esteem, and more
- It uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) concepts. CBT is a leading therapeutic technique for treating many mental disorders, including Anxiety and Depression
- Number 1 best seller on Amazon, rated 4.6 stars out of 5
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Manual – by Marsha Linehan
- This is the actual manual for Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) from its creator. It is very in depth and a little more expensive than some of the other workbooks.
- This is the program that many hospital groups follow. There are 24 skills within the book and “homework” to go with each skill so that you can practice.
- It can be very overwhelming. I keep it as a resource if I ever need to refer back to something that I learned during my DBT program.
- DBT Workbook – Matthew McKay
- This is a broken-down version of the full Manual. It is easier to digest but still has many of the benefits of the original.
- Number 1 best seller on Amazon, rated 4.6 out of 5 stars
- Highly Sensitive Person’s Workbook – Elaine Aron
- Elaine Aron pioneered a trait called High Sensitivity, something she states 20 percent of the population has
- Some signs that you may be highly sensitive are easy overwhelm by noise and confusion, rich inner life, intense dreams, being too “shy” or “sensitive”, etc.
- There is a full questionnaire that you can take to determine if you are highly sensitive and there is a book that you can read to go with your workbook.
- I read the book first and then purchased the workbook but the workbook can act as a stand alone
- Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon
So feel free to check some of these out and let me know what you think!